Thursday, February 8, 2018

Grant's Flat Stanley in Bryant Pond, Maine

I am having a wonderful trip! The day I arrived in Bryant Pond, Maine, we were having a very bad winter storm.  It started with lots of snow and ended with freezing rain!  I was so happy to be warm and dry inside, but it was very pretty to look outside!  Now I know what a fairyland must look like!  For two days, I watched as my hosts shoveled snow.  Finally the work was done and they took me sightseeing in the western mountains of Maine.  But it got even better!  Guess where they took me:

*Its peak is 6,288 feet above sea level
*It is the highest point in the Northeastern US
*It is nicknamed "Home of the World's Worst Weather"
*The highest wind speed ever measured on earth, 231 miles per hour, was recorded here.
*The location is Sargent's Purchase, Coos County, NH 

Did you guess?  Did you say Mount Washington?  


It was so beautiful because every tree branch was sealed in twinkling ice!  No, I didn't go to the top but I did go all through Mount Washington Valley.  Here is a pictures of the sun high above the clouds:
 I've done lots of snowmobiling and looking at animal tracks: moose, deer, bobcat, turkey, squirrel, partridge and rabbit.  I even saw an eagle fly right overhead! 


 But it has been very cold and I really want to travel to a warm climate.  I think I will go to Sarasota, Florida.  I will visit 2 people who are retired teachers and have lived there for 50 years!  I wonder if I will see the Gulf of Mexico?  I'm hoping I will see palm trees, crocodiles and alligators! See you soon!